BOARD GAME TRANSLATION
Most board game publishers don’t have a dedicated localization expert on their team. Usually, managing translators is just another thing a publisher’s CEO or Marketing Manager needs to take care of.
The Geeky Pen takes that off your hands, so you can focus on other things. To give you an idea of what to expect when you choose to work with us, let’s briefly go over our board game localization process.
When you first send us your rulebook, chances are it’s going to be in PDF format. Before we can start doing any work on it, the first step is to create a clean translation table. Why?
1) Our translators use professional translation software, like Trados or MemoQ. Streamlining the format helps them to create reusable terminology databases. This means your future translations will have the same consistent terminology and style.
2) The graphic designer needs to be able to easily spot what goes where. The convenient cell layout helps them with that, even if they don’t speak the target language.
When the translator is finished and the questions in the sheet have been answered, the proofreader will kick into gear. They will check the translator’s work based on the style guide for their language, gather the information from the question sheet, and propose adjustments.
The translator and proofreader will then discuss potential changes and work on the translation table together, until both of them are happy and agree on a final version of your translation.
final proofreading phase
After all of the game’s language-dependent components have been placed into PDF format, both our translator and our proofreader will perform a final check of your files. Similar to the question sheet (see ‘step two: TRANSLATION PHASE’ ), we also create a proofreading sheet.
Our teams can use it to communicate with the graphic designer, and report issues like missing words or incorrect formatting, or to shorten sentences that take up too much space.
This final step of the localization process is arguably the most important, because it’s what separates a decent translation… from an excellent one!
READY TO TALK TO US?
At The Geeky Pen, you can expect the following:
- Professional translation by a experienced game translator
- Professional proofreading by a separate translator
- Discounts for ordering multiple languages
- Optional InDesign Implementation
- Full Project Management